The Back Story
The structure at 135 East Colorado Avenue in downtown Telluride has been known as the Roma Building ever since a tavern by the name “Roma” opened its doors in 1897. If the walls of this building could talk it would have many a story to tell as its character has been engrained in its walls and floors over the years.The building was originally made up of what historically was two adjacent, but separate, single-story, wood frame false-front commercial buildings.The uliatrian appearance indicates that this structure was never meant to be permanent, but boy were the original oweners wrong as The Roma still has plenty of life in it. Before becoming The Roma Bar the space served as a warehouse, restaurant and grocery store. The saloon still contains an exquisite bar carved from walnut, 20 feet in length with a 12 foot French mirror on the back bar, welded in 1860 by the Brunswick-Balke-Collener Company. The Roma was one of the wildest and most raucous saloons in town after prohibition ended.